There are a lot of countries where it has been observed that the marks of student’s in mathematics have been constantly declining.There are a lot of students who face difficulty in understanding the concepts of mathematics. It often happens because of the way it has been presented in front of the students. The old traditional teaching methods in universities are the main reason why students are under performing in mathematics for several years.
In this article we would be discussing some of the new techniques used to teach mathematics.
The New Problem Based Learning Technique (PBL)
This is an approach which focuses more on students. We can say that it is student-centric. Problem based learning also known as PBL make the use of specially constructed problems. This technique encourages students to learn with the help of real problems.
- This is an approach which makes students work in small groups.
- Because the students are learning in groups they actively participate in the lessons and the students also have the opportunity to direct their own learning.
- Instead of demonstrating materials to the students the teachers choose to facilitate the students in this approach.
Traditional Methods Of Teaching Mathematics (TM)
Traditional Methods of teaching includes the following styles-
- Lectures- The lessons taught in the form of lectures where the students are buried under massive information from teachers. The teachers show the students the steps of solving a problem and then the students are given similar problems to solve by themselves. The problems are hypothetical situations created which have nothing to do with real life.
- It’s a lonely way where groups of students or peers are not encouraged.
Why Is Problem Based Learning Approach Successful?
- PBL develops the ability in students to achieve desired results.
- It creates a positive attitude in students.
- Problem Solving approach helps to develop interest and high self-efficiency in the subject.
- Grades measured to analyze the academic achievement in students. Mathematics is a very scoring subject and by applying the problem based learning approach students are able to achieve high grades in mathematics.
The Problem-Solving Approach Help In Mathematics
1.Develops Student’s Interest– Interest plays a very important role in the success of any student. The environment in the class room, teacher in person, and teaching style. These are the three main things that helps in cultivating interest in a student for the subject. These three things can both motivate and de-motivate a student. This approach helps in cultivating interest in students for that subject.
2.Attitude Towards The Subject– Attitude makes all the difference. A positive attitude towards the subject can create curiosity in a student which helps the student to get into the depth and acquire knowledge. Similarly, a negative attitude makes him push the subject away. A student with a negative attitude tends to ignore the subject and doesn’t find it interesting.
PBL helps the students to keep the right attitude. The students can relate to the problems they solve because they are closer to the real life.
3.Helps To Improve Grades– The problem solving approach in mathematics helps to improve the marks of a student. They teach the formulas in a way that they can be remembered easily and applied. This helps the students score well in the subjects. There are online assignment writers who assist students to improve their grades.
Academic Achievement plays a vital role in the growth of a student. Scores are the best way to motivate any student. Every student’s primary aim is to score well in their exams.
4.Helps Develop Critical Skills In Students– There are different types of students with separate sets of skills. Some students understand the material while others simply memorize the important segments in order to pass. The PBL cultivates higher order thinking skills and critical thinking skills in students. These skills prepare them for their future irrespective of what stream they are choosing to study. The skills are mostly scene in average students. However, it has been observed that logic and reasoning is not directly proportional to intelligence. i.e, even the average students can be good in subjects like mathematics.
Challenges Faced In Applying The PBL Approach
- Lack of understanding in teachers on problem- solving approach. It has been found that the teachers lack knowledge on how to implement the PBL approach among students.
- Teachers find difficulty in developing effective problems for the students to solve.
- The classrooms should include modern equipment for proper implementation of the PBL approach.
- The traditional curriculums should include the modern ways of teaching.
- Changes in the time tables and assessment schedules should also be made for proper implementation.
- The quality of the PBL approach cannot be measured.
- The teachers should be very good facilitators in order to impart quality PBL Approach among students.
- PBL approach needs to have proper participation of students. In case the students are not willing to participate, it becomes challenging for the teachers to work using such approaches. There are online assignment writers available who use the latest modern techniques to impart the knowledge of mathematics and other subjects among students.
Thus, we can say that despite having a lot of limitations and challenges the Problem based learning approach proves to be far better than the traditional methods of teaching mathematics.
A lot of universities are implementing these approaches to increase the grades of the students. Online help is also available for students who are struggling to score well in mathematics.
Students can avail urgent assignment help when the exams are knocking at the door. They can also seek the help of essay writers who are available round the clock seven days a week who are extending hands of help towards the students.