Extracurricular activities are a tool used by universities and education institutions to improve personal development in academic students. The main goal of extracurricular activities is to enhance a student’s skills on a personal level, along with institutional and community level. Extracurricular activities further compliment the academic curriculum of the university and also influences students education. In short it can be said that extracurricular activities provides a setting to involve and at the same time interact with students. It further leads to increased learning and enhance the overall development. This happens because the peer group of a student is the most important source of physical and mental development of students. In this article we are going to briefly discuss the impact of extracurricular activities on students.
Effects Of Extracurricular Activities On Students
The principal goal of extracurricular activities on students is the overall development of students. These are activities that do not generally fall in the student’s curriculum. It may include clubs, sports, student newspaper, art and drama and music. These activities help provide students with the much needed experience that are not a part of the student’s curriculum. It has numerous effects on a student’s life in a positive way. Listed below are some of the positive effects of extracurricular activities on students. The major effects are behavior, better grades, positive influence to become responsible adults and school completion. (Ahren CS 2009)
- Firstly, Student’s behavior is greatly effected because of the extracurricular activities they take part in. It is observed that students who participate in these activities have lesser behavioral problems. Sports helps them to get disciplined, they get into the habit of regular practice and enter a routine life. Moreover students are forced to perform the tasks assigned to them correctly and are rewarded for their behavior in return. Their accomplishments become a reason for their pride. This pride in turn makes them achieve, and their self-esteem, confidence and self-respect increases. It further enhances the status of students in front of their friends and other students in the university. According to latest survey reports the most critical time when students get involved in deviant behavior is after they finish school and before they reach home. The in-between time is crucial because this a time when students are not engaged in anything. Students who mostly get involved in deviant behavior are between the age group of 12 to 18. Apart from them even the university students between the age group of 18 to 25 are prone to deviant behavior in case they keep their minds empty. Extracurricular activities help them gain better learning experiences and keeps them engaged and under supervision which helps them resist unsafe behaviors that includes getting involved in criminal activities, alcohol and drugs.
- Secondly the impact of extracurricular activities also has its effects on the grades of the academic students. It also helps students develop a positive attitude towards their education institutions be it universities or schools. Further these activities also assist students to create a voluntary positive connection with their institute that after class academic programs and even planned remedial also fail to create. Apart from this extracurricular activities also increases the student’s confidence levels and improves the student’s perception towards the students building an overall positive attitude towards the school.
- Thirdly, these activities help students in the successful completion of their academic course. These activities help students gain higher academic achievements as a result students are less likely to dropout in between their academic years of learning. It further improve student’s attendance decreasing absenteeism and encourages students to reach their universities on time. Strategies like “No Pass No Play” have been developed by the educational institutions that encourage students and help them maintain their grades. This restricts them from dropping out even if they are not very satisfied with their academic results and also keeps drugs and tobacco use at arm’s length. This in turn enforces self discipline in students and helps them remain focused. (Booth J ,et.al,2013) It has also been observed that online services like ArabEssay offers instant essay help to students and help them balance their personal and professional lives so that students can take time out to participate in extracurricular activities.
- Extracurricular activities help students become productive. Students develop leadership skills in them through extracurricular activities. Apart from leadership skills these activities also assist students to work in teams, build organizations based on these activities, increases their analytical thinking capability, help them become better problem solvers, teaches time management, and multi tasking and helps them rediscover themselves and their talents. Most importantly extracurricular activities opens doors of new opportunities for students and help them get a job based on their interest, and also helps them relate to real time experiences when they step into the professional world. (attie J 2012)
- Apart from this social skills are also enhanced through extracurricular activities. They get an opportunity to meet new people from different backgrounds having similar skill sets and work with them.
- Activities related to dance and music helps restore cultural heritage and preserve the traditional value system of the society. It also gives an opportunity for groups to revive customs and develop skills related to music, dancing, creation of ornaments, manufacturing of dresses. Students also get an opportunity to learn their history, background and culture. ArabEssay essay writing help assist students in balancing their academic life so that students are able to spend quality time participating in extracurricular activities.
Therefore it can be said that with passage of time education institutions have understood the importance and impact of extracurricular activities on a student’s behavior and their overall academic performance. It has by now become a part of the student’s everyday life. It has positive effects on a student’s behavior, their academic grades that effect their performance in universities, positive aspects to make successful adults, and also helps in preserving and restoring the skills and customs. It is important for education institutions to be aware of the impact of education institutions on students.
Ahren CS (2009)Disentangling the unique effects of co-curricular engagement on self-reported student learning outcomes. Citeseer.
Booth J, Leary S, Joinson C, Ness A, Tomporowski P, Boyle J and Reilly J (2013) Associations between objectively measured physical activity and academic attainment in adolescents from a UK cohort. British Journal of Sports Medicine, bjsports-2013-092334.
Cosden M, Morrison G, Gutierrez L and Brown M (2012)The effects of homework programs and after-school activities on school success. Theory into Practice43(3): 220-226.
Cosinger (2011)An Analysis of Burmese and Iraqi Resettlement Location and Assimilation in a Midsized City: Implications for Educational and Other Community Leaders
acombe M (2014) Report of the Executive Committee for 2006. ActaCrystallographicaSection A:Foundations of Crystallography63(6): 484-508.
Gilliam J (2013)The Challenges of Minority, Non-Affluent Students: Perceptions of the Transitions to College.
attie J (2012)Visible learning for teachers: Maximizing impact on learning: Routledge.
Holloway JH (2010)Adolescent Involvement in Extracurricular Activities and Positive Development: A Comparative Study between Government and Private Schools’ St