Any mental or psychological disorder can be extremely disturbing and harmful for not just the individual who is suffering from that disorder but also for other individuals who are present around him or her. And one such disorder that can be extremely harmful to an individual and those around him or her is the Antisocial Personality Disorder.
This psychological disorder is defined in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders as a mental condition in which an individual fails to constantly show any regard between the right and wrong. And that individual further completely ignores the feelings and rights of those present around him or her. An individual suffering from this psychological disorder often tends to show no remorse or guilt for their own bad actions. In this antisocial essay, the various symptoms, causes, risk factors, and prevention methods related to this psychological disorder will be explored.
As we have mentioned above, that individuals suffering from this mental disorder often tend to show no regard for any other individual’s feelings. They also do not show any remorse or guilt for their own actions. These individuals are also known to antagonize, manipulate, or treat other individuals around them in an extremely harsh or rough manner that shows no regard for the feelings or the well-being of the other individual. It is also commonly known that individuals who are suffering from this particular psychological disorder are also more prone to violate laws or become criminals in the future. Individuals who are suffering from this order might also lie, act impulsively, or act violently towards other individuals. They also often have problems drug and alcohol abuse. There are also many specific symptoms related to this antisocial personality disorder which are also listed in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. And some of those symptoms are mentioned below.
- An utter disregard for what is right and what is wrong
- Constantly exploiting other individuals with their persistent lying and deceit
- Being disrespectful, callous, and cynical of other people
- Often manipulating other individuals for their personal pleasure or personal gain by using their wit or charm
- Are often extremely opinionated, arrogant, and further have a sense of superiority
- Frequent problems with the law by indulging in criminal behavior
- Constantly violating the rights of other people by the means of dishonesty and intimidation
- They often fail to plan ahead and are impulsive
- Display excessive aggression, violence, irritability, agitation, and hostility
- Constant lack of remorse and lack of empathy for other individuals
- They often show no regards for their own safety and that of others by indulging in unnecessary risk-taking activities and dangerous behavior
- Often tend to have various abusive or poor relationships
- They fail to learn from their own past mistakes and further fail to consider the negative impacts of their own actions
- Consistently failing to complete financial, work, and familial obligations and are consistently irresponsible
It is also generally agreed amongst clinical psychologists that adults who suffer from antisocial personality disorder also tend to suffer from conduct disorder when they were children. This is also one of the most commonly explored topics in various essay writing pieces. And a few symptoms of the conduct disorder are mentioned below.
- Stealing or theft
- Often violate stated rules
- Often show deceitful behavior
- They often indulge in destruction of property
- Show aggressive tendencies towards other individuals and animals
There are many essay writing pieces that state that this psychological disorder is life-long. But with the right kind of help certain extremely harmful or destructive symptoms can be decreased over time.
The next subtopic in this antisocial essay is that of the causes of this personality disorder. And according to a number of different types of essay writing pieces, there can be many speculated causes of this personality disorder. However, the exact cause of this psychological disorder isn’t known yet. But some of those speculated causes of this psychological disorder are mentioned below.
- The genetic makeup of an individual might make him or her more to this particular disorder. However, there is always some kind of life situation or event that would trigger the genetic makeup of this particular disorder
- Some studies claim, that this psychological disorder might result due to some changes in the functions that are performed by the brain during the period of brain development
These are all the speculated causes that are discussed in this antisocial essay.
The Risk Factors
Earlier in this antisocial essay, it was mentioned that there are also many risk factors that are associated with this particular personality disorder. And some of those risk factors are mentioned below.
- Being diagnosed with conduct disorder during their early childhood
- Having a family life that can be characterized by being violent, unstable, and chaotic during childhood or the early years
- Suffering from neglect or abuse during the childhood or the early years. There are also many essay writing pieces written that explore this specific risk factor
- Having a genetic predisposition to this mental disorder or having a family history of psychological disorders
- Also, according to various studies conducted and various types of antisocial essay, it is also stated that men are generally at a higher risk of developing this psychological disorder than women
There are many complications, consequences, or problems that might be associated with this psychological disorder. And some of those consequences, complications, or problems that are explored in this essay writing are mentioned below.
- Substance or alcohol abuse
- Participation in gangs
- Premature death that is usually a result of excessive violence
- Having a low economic and social status
- Showing tendencies of suicidal or homicidal behavior
- Often being in prison or jail
- Abusing or neglecting their spouse and children
These are some of the most common consequences that are also narrowed down or mentioned in many other types of essay writing pieces.
Unfortunately, currently, there is no sure shot way of preventing this particular psychological disorder from developing. However, since now many readers already know from this antisocial essay that the roots of this psychological disorder lie in childhood, hence, extra attention can be given to identifying individuals that could suffer from this medical condition in the future. Once such individuals are identified then effective therapy sessions, behavior modification lessons, and proper family planning can help those individuals in leading a better and happy life.
In this antisocial essay, the various symptoms, causes, consequences, and preventive measures are explored of antisocial personality disorder. An individual who is suffering from this medical condition can often be extremely dangerous and harmful not to their own selves but also for other individuals who might be present around him or her. There are also many symptoms like failing to show remorse or guilt, frequent lying, indulging in manipulative behavior, and other symptoms that can help an individual in identifying somebody who could be suffering from this particular psychological disorder. According to various experts and many other types of essay writing pieces, there are many speculated causes of this mental disorder like genetic predisposition and a family history of other psychological disorders. However, the exact cause of this psychological disorder is not known currently. There are also no known preventive measures that can work with a sure shot guarantee. But there are a few things that an individual can practice to ensure that individuals suffering from this medical disorder can get the right kind of help as soon as possible. And some of those preventive steps include spotting the symptoms early and trying to get appropriate medical help on time.
Antisocial Personality Disorder. (2018). Retrieved December 20, 2018, from https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/antisocial-personality-disorder/symptoms-causes/syc-20353928
Antisocial Personality Disorder. (2018). Retrieved December 20, 2018, from https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/antisocial-personality-disorder/
Antisocial Personality Disorder. (2018). Retrieved December 20, 2018, from https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/conditions/antisocial-personality-disorder
Antisocial Personality Disorder. (2018). Retrieved December 20, 2018, from https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/000921.htm
Antisocial Personality Disorder. (2018). Retrieved December 20, 2018, from https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/antisocial-personality-disorder-overview
Skodol, A. (2018). Antisocial Personality Disorder (ASPD). Retrieved December 20, 2018, from https://www.msdmanuals.com/home/mental-health-disorders/personality-disorders/antisocial-personality-disorder-aspd
Antisocial Personality Disorder. (2017). Retrieved December 20, 2018, from https://www.mentalhealth.gov/what-to-look-for/personality-disorders/antisocial-personality-disorder
Haelle, T. (2018). How Antisocial Personality Disorder is Diagnosed. Retrieved December 20, 2018, from https://www.everydayhealth.com/antisocial-personality-disorder/diagnosis/
Smith, K. (2018). Antisocial Personality Disorder. Retrieved December 20, 2018, from https://www.psycom.net/antisocial-personality-disorder/
Bressert, S. (2018). Antisocial Personality Disorder Symptoms. Retrieved December 20, 2018, from https://psychcentral.com/disorders/antisocial-personality-disorder/symptoms/
Brill, A. (2017). Life With Antisocial Personality Disorder (ASPD). Retrieved December 20, 2018, from https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/your-stories/life-with-antisocial-personality-disorder-aspd/#.XBuFmFwza00
Antisocial Personality Disorder. (2018). Retrieved December 20, 2018, from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisocial_personality_disorder