A particular form of aggression raised by peers in students is known as bullying. Similarly, in the digital space cyber bullying is an online aggression behavior. In modern times numerous students are subject to cyber bullying. Bullying in any form is harmful to the growth and development of students. In this article, we are going to discuss the Bullying effect on student’s performance.
Effects Of Bullying On Students
The internet is a useful tool used by students for studying in modern times. It has opened up new avenues and started new methods of learning among students. The basic features of the internet like it can be used widely have made it popular among students. But on the other hand, the features that have made it popular because of its advantages have also become the main reason for undesirable behavior that threatens students and is highly offensive.
The technologies that are mostly used in cyber bullying students are instant messaging, Smartphones, emails, online games, blogs, polling, and other personal websites. In cyber bullying repeated hostile behaviors by groups or individuals with a deliberate intention of harming others are made.
The most affected segment of students affected by cyber bullying is the undergraduates who are still pursuing degree courses.
The below image shows a survey report in the year 2014 conducted by Pew Research Center revealed that 96% of young adults between the ages group of 18 to 29 use internet email or use Smartphones to access the internet in which 91% are college students. That clearly states that the majority of students using these tools to access the internet are prone to cyber bullying.
Types of Cyber Bullying
Cyber Bullying can be broadly categorized in 7 different types namely- Online harassment, flaming, denigration, cyberstalking, trickery and outing, masquerading, and exclusion.
- Online Harassment- Continuously sending offensive messages is defined as online harassment.
- Flaming– Sending of vulgar messages or messages that are rude and make a person angry through text or emails is termed as flaming.
- Denigration– This occurs when untrue messages are circulated by the bullies about a person.
- Cyber Stalking– When the bullies and threatens an individual repeatedly using online mediums accessing their personal information it is known as cyberstalking.
- Trickery And Outing– When the bullies trick an individual and extract sensitive and private messages that can be both embarrassing and stigmatizing for individuals it is termed as Trickery and Outing.
- Masquerading– When the bullies steal the identity of individuals and harass people pretending to be someone else it is termed as Masquerading.
- Exclusion– When individuals are left out of groups with deliberate malicious intentions it is termed as exclusion. In simple terms, it is known as boycotting an individual with malicious intentions.
Apart from these 7 categories of cyber bullying, there are additional categories as well. For example- Frapping i.e. when a person’s social media account is hacked with the intension of ruining their reputation. Dissing, i.e. sharing of cruel information. Trolling, i.e., provoking or insulting an individual online. Cat-Fishing- i.e, stealing the identity of an individual to create a fake profile. Phishing, i.e, persuading, manipulating, and tricking an individual to extract the financial or personal information of an individual. Stalking, i.e, keeping constant track of the personal information shared by an individual or group online. Blackmailing, i.e, sending of anonymous emails, phone calls, and messages to get something in place of secrets held by the cyber bullies. Threatening an individual to share vulnerable photographs or videos also comes under blackmailing. Apart from these there is also sexting and shunning. Sexting is when explicit videos and photographs are shared online without the individual’s knowledge and consent. And, shunning is avoiding, ignoring, and rejecting an individual persistently in social networks.
Effects Of Cyber Bullying
- Cyber Bullying has a negative psychological impact on students and becomes one of the key reasons for depression, loneliness, low self- esteem, social exclusion, poor academic performance, and also school phobias.
- Students facing cyberbullying are often distracted and suffer from a lack of concentration due to emotional stress.
- Students tend to become less proactive during their online sessions and restrain themselves from asking questions.
- The majority of students tend to drop out of their universities when they feel they are not being able to cope with the bullying.
- The worst scenario is students are seen going through nervous breakdowns because of cyberbullying.
- It is the sole reason why students tend to score low grades in their assignments.
Apart from the above-mentioned effects students also tend to become bankrupt, lose focus, and also develop suicidal tendencies due to cyberbullying. However, online essay help from ArabEssay can help students keep away from cyberbullies.
Preventive Measures To Keep The Cyberbullies At Arm’s Length
- Professional services like online assignment help from ArabEssay can assist students in keeping the cyber bullies at bay.
- To avoid getting influenced by the cyber bullies students must develop a clear purpose and should be self-motivated and self- satisfied. ArabEssay essay typer can assist students in getting motivated by helping them gain in-depth knowledge of their subjects. Also, the new environment created by these professional services helps to keep a check on the cyber bullies.
- To avoid students getting into self-doubts and becoming insecure about their relationship these online services provide 24/7 assistance to students for instant solutions and expert guidance through chats, calls, and emails. This helps students keep themselves away from unnecessary stress and anxiety.
Therefore it can be said that digital space cyberbullying is an online aggression behavior. The features that have made it popular because of its advantages have also become the main reason for undesirable behavior that threatens students and is highly offensive. Cyber Bullying can be broadly categorized in 7 different types namely- Online harassment, flaming, denigration, cyber stalking, trickery and outing, masquerading, and exclusion. Other categories also include trolling phishing, stalking, etc.
Cyber Bullying has a negative psychological impact on students. Students facing cyber bullying are often distracted and suffer from a lack of concentration due to emotional stress. Students tend to become less proactive during their online sessions and restrain themselves from asking questions. The majority of students tend to drop out of their universities when they feel they are not being able to cope with the bullying and also It is the sole reason why students tend to score low grades in their assignments.
Therefore to keep the cyber bullies at arm’s length Professional services like online assignment help from ArabEssay have stepped forward. It is also suggested that students must develop a clear purpose and should be self-motivated and self- satisfied. These services also keep students away from self- doubts and insecure relationships by providing them round the clock assistance. Through chats, calls, and emails.
Therefore it is clear that to have a successful career and achieve good grades throughout their academic careers students must stay away from negative people and comments of the online bullies. To gather more information on cyber bullying they must seek expert advice from ArabEssay experts.
DeHue et al., 2008; Juvonen and Gross, 2008; Kowalski and Limber, 2007; Grene, 2003; Juvonen et al., 2003; Rivituso, 2012; Varghese and Pistole, 2017; Na, 2014; Akcil, 2018