Peel is an approach used in essay writing that is used to force the writer to use a particular format that has an aligned structure. (Humphrey,et.al,2015) It helps the student express their thoughts in an organized way, using a format that can be easily adopted by their readers. Peel writing method is used to provide a deep perception of the thoughts of the students using the strategy. Even if the procedure is complex the techniques of using a peel strategy can be simplified by using certain tips and tricks. In this article today we are going to share tips for adopting the peel writing strategy for students.
The first question that arises in mind when we talk about PEEL method is what is peel?
The answer lies in the question itself. The term PEEL is an acronym for Point, Evidence, Explain and Link. These constitute a part of the paragraph.
- Point– Point is usually reflected right at the opening of a paragraph. It is vital because the initial first few sentences define the point. The point is then elaborated in the whole paragraph. Therefore students need to state the point clearly in the opening paragraph so that the readers have a clear idea about what is being discussed in the subsequent paragraphs. Students should avoid the use of irrelevant sentences while sating the point so that the readers do not deviate from the topic and get confused.
- Evidence– Students need to provide appropriate evidence to support the evidence. The evidence can be in the form of facts, analysis, data, events and stats. The evidence need to be extracted from reliable sites, books, research papers, journals, internet, or magazines. That can be referred back in times of need. The evidences provided in the essay helps students believe in the arguments and facts.
- Explain– The next segment is explanation, where students are told to make their audience understand the points. The facts and arguments presented in the essay hold no water if they are not explained properly. Students are thus advised to explain every fact and argument presented in details. In case they face difficulties in doing so they can seek online assignment help from ArabEssay experts.
- Link– Linking the paragraphs to one another is as important as explaining. A connection is established between sentences when two or more sentences are linked to one another. It helps in bringing out a practical conclusion of the paragraph.
A peel writing strategy is generally used to write creative essays. It helps create an essay that is engaging, the introductory paragraphs are made interesting so that it can hold the interest of the readers’ right from the start.
Tips For Students While Implementing The Peel Writing Strategy
- Plan Your Paragraph- Students often miss out on the need to plan an essay before putting their words on the paper. They must not forget that planning helps save a lot of productive time of students minimizing the chances of making mistakes allowing them more time in hand while drafting the essay. Moreover a planned essay is easily comprehensible for the readers or the target audience for whom the essay has been drafted. (Meixner,et.al,2020)
- Focus On The Introductory Lines- Students should ensure they avoid the use of personal pronouns while drafting the introduction. Also they need to highlight the main points in the introduction so that the readers have a clear picture of what the essay is all about and draft an engaging introduction that can hook the readers to the essay and retain their interests. In case students find difficulties in writing a precise interesting introduction because of lack of experience they can avail instant essay help from ArabEssay experts.
- Give The Best Suitable Examples To Support Your Argument As Evidence- Mentioning key points in the introduction is not enough to convince and retain a reader and persuade them to agree to your point. To ensure the readers are also on the same plane it is important that the best suitable examples are being given to support an argument as evidence. Students should ensure the examples they provide to support their essay are persuasive and compelling in nature. In case students run short of such examples they can take the help of online assignment writers from ArabEssay.
- Proofread The Essay Before Submission- It is necessary that students get the essay proofread by experts post completion to ensure that the peel strategy has been implemented successfully keeping the university guidelines in mind. It is important that students take the help of expert essay helpers and make them proofread the assignments instead of proofreading the assignments themselves because in most cases the brain auto corrects the mistakes and the students miss out on the small factual errors and grammatical mistakes that affect the quality of the assignment. Therefore to ensure the essay is written with accuracy and is unique, flawless and non-plagiarized it is advised that students hire a third party writing expert who edit and proofread the essay before submission.
PEEL writing is often used while writing an essay and it comes out to be its crucial form. Students must always support their statements with relevant facts and examples by giving extra explanations for them. If you are a student, then you need to focus on various writing techniques by adopting different approaches and adhering to them in the future. Whether you plan to write for some research paper, essay or any other form of writing, make sure that you frame it using the PEEL writing style. To ensure students implement this style successfully they should keep the following tips in mind. First, students should ensure they plan a paragraph before putting their words into the paper. Second, they should focus on the introductory lines and write an introduction that is precise, to the point and engaging and also helps readers analyze what the essay is all about. Third, Students should make sure they support the essay giving the best suitable examples to support your argument as evidence to help convince their target audience to agree to their point. And, finally students should get the assignments proofread by a third party professional expert to make sure the peel strategy has been implemented correctly in the essay and the essay is free from grammatical errors and factual flaws before they are submitted to the students.
Humphrey, S., Sharpe, T., & Cullen, T. (2015). Peeling the PEEL: Integrating language and literacy in the middle years. Literacy Learning: The Middle Years, 23(2), 53.
Meixner, E., Peel, A., Hendrickson, R., Szczeck, L., & Bousum, K. (2019). Storied Lives: Teaching Memoir Writing Through Multimodal Mentor Texts. Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy, 62(5), 495-508.
TANIŞ, A., Şensoy, F. H., & Derin, A. T. A. Y. (2020). The effects of L1 use and dialogic instruction on EFL writing. Eurasian Journal of Applied Linguistics, 6(1), 1-21.
Bondar, N. (2020). Composing Moves: Writing with Students about Henry IV, Part One. English Journal, 109(5), 113-115.
Meixner, E. S., & Peel, A. (2020). Helping Students Choose a Reading Frame: Three Ways of Teaching Jacqueline Woodson’s Harbor Me. New Jersey English Journal, 9(1), 13.